Monday, April 16, 2007

Query: What sort of bird is noble Ludwig?

My dear Lady J, (for I feel I may call you so:)

You asked, what sort of bird is good, noble Ludwig?

He is not, as you were brilliant to guess, a cardinal, though he is indeed as red as cranberries.

Ludwig is not cardinalis cardinalis.

Ludwig is gumberius gumberius. In other words, he started as a bright blue egg. I found this egg nestled in my tea cup at Gumberry Castle one morning. I was about to crack it with my spoon, thinking it was an ordinary poached egg, when I heard a CRACK !

And out peeked a small pink bird with big, coal-black eyes. Yes, all gumberius gumberius begin a rather watery pink. Only as they age and have their tea every day do they begin to turn bright red.

I looked into my tea cup and said, "Good Gumdrops!"

And Ludwig the pink bird said, "To-eat, to-eat!"




It was then I realized that this little pink chick was peckish, and so I fed him the nearest thing I could find--a sip of Earl Grey tea and a sugary green gumdrop.

Because indeed, Lady J.--correctly guessed--he eats piles of green gumdrops for tea every day on a china plate.

Of course this is all before we had to leave the grand estate of Gumberry Castle.

But I will tell you that sad tale tomorrow.

Thank you, dear lady, for writing!

Sincerely,


Sir Chidester the Gumberry

No comments: